History

North Canton Church of Christ

The North Canton congregation of the Church of Christ began with seven families who were members of the Church of Christ at Ninth Street, in Canton, and were residents of the North Canton area. They believed it was their duty to establish a congregation in North Canton. The group was comprised of one elder, two deacons, and some teachers.

 A Brief History of our Congregation:

· Began meeting in the YMCA Community Building in 1953 with 23 members.

· Moved to the “Upper Room” in the Wise Building on Main Street on January 1, 1954.

· Purchased one acre of land with a 40’X40’ building at 116 West 9th St. in August 1957.  It was remodeled to include a baptistery, several classrooms, and a 135 seat auditorium.

· By 1961 the average attendance had grown to 130 and the building was expanded by adding a 320 seat auditorium and 6 additional classrooms.

· In 1967 a parsonage was purchased at 200 Woodrow St.

· In October 1972 a $45,000 education wing with 8 classrooms and an office was added.

· Plans for our current building at 1301 East Maple St. began in January 1985. 

· In February 1987, six acres of the Marquardt property were purchased.

· In May 1987, one additional acre was purchased from the city of North Canton for a total of seven acres.

· Parsonage and one lot were sold in March 1988.

· The Ninth St. location was sold to Harvest Christian Center on June 4, 1991.

· Met at North Canton Middle School during the construction of the East Maple building.

· Moved into the East Maple building the week of August 10, 1992.

· First service was held on August 16, 1992.

· The East Maple building contained 18,224 square feet.  The auditorium and balcony seat 670 and can be expanded to seat 880.  The facility included a library, two offices, 12 classrooms, a fellowship hall that can be converted to 3 classrooms, teachers supply room and kitchen.

· Our Building Committee met in April 2004 to begin planning 19,000 square foot addition to the East Maple building.

 

· In May 2008, our 19,048 square foot addition and 3,079 square foot renovation were completed.  The new addition includes an expanded fellowship hall that can be divided into 3 classrooms, expanded kitchen, new teen room, two offices, restrooms, a gym and a combined garage and food storage area.  There is now a total of 37,272 square feet under roof.

 

 
North Canton Church of Christ

1301 E. Maple St.

North Canton, OH 44720

 

Phone: (330) 499-4303

Email: ncchurch@rrbiznet.com

 
Media Gallery Quick Links Forms / Applications Members' Info Facebook